If you are beginning a new undergraduate course, you may be entitled to university-owned accommodation. Your chosen university will advise you on how to apply for and gain a student room in one of their ‘Halls of Residence’. If you are in second year or above, if you are a mature student or if you are studying for a masters or PhD, you are very unlikely to be given the opportunity to reside in university accommodation. It may also be the case that you do not want to stay in typical student accommodation.

Finding somewhere to rent can be a daunting prospect, especially if you are new to the city. However, Edinburgh is well supplied with private rental accommodation and well over 50% of all students live in privately rented houses or apartments.

There are many estate agents, property managers and solicitors who specialise in renting property. Although there are many of them, agents tend to work primarily for the landlords and not the tenant. It is not always easy to deal with them. Desirable properties in good areas of the city that are close to university buildings are rented very quickly to the most suitable tenants. Agents and landlords will often ask for six months rent in advance (especially if you have little or no income), they do not like pets and, increasingly, they are not happy to rent to families with children. They insist on references from previous landlords and will perform credit checks. Agents are not always flexible regarding viewings or when dealing with a potential tenant who has not yet arrived in the UK.These are the aspects of your move that Edinburgh Relocations for Students can help with.

For general information about rentals in Edinburgh and examples of what is available now, take a look at www.espc.com or www.rightmove.co.uk.

If you require any further information then please contact us.